If you are a plumber then I don’t need to tell you that competition is fierce. Having successfully coached some very large plumbing companies I can share with you some common mistakes that are made in your trade. Take the time to go through the list and correct any of the mistakes that you or your team may be making.
- Wear a uniform with a name tag-Every industry has an official or un-official type of uniform. Baseball players wear a team uniform that brings them and their fans closer in their bond. Bankers on Wallstreet wear a shirt and tie uniform which denotes power and organization. Wearing a uniform in the trades denotes that you are a professional company with standards. Think of your own buying habits. When you have a repairman come into your home would you prefer that he is neatly dressed in a uniform or wearing last nights jeans and shirt with beer stains and mustard all over the shirt?
- Train your technicians-Remember your technicians are the front-line people that are going to close the sale as well as be able to upsell the job. If they don’t know and understand how a drain field works, how can they recommend upselling enzymes to put in the septic tank? Empower your employees with technical skills, communication skills, and sales skills.
- Train your telephone staff-You do not get a second chance to make a good first impression. Your telephone staff is the first contact to you making a sale. If she is rude, dis-organized, or not skillful in getting your technician into the house then the sale will be lost before it even began. Spend the time and money to hire the right people and then to train them in all aspects of their job.
- Not Marketing Correctly-I see too many plumbing companies that are either not marketing at all; or are using such antiquated techniques that it is no wonder their business is struggling. In this economy you must use strategic-based marketing to get the best results. You must create a UVP (unique value proposition) and base your marketing from that. In addition you must know who your ideal customer is. Then you must learn how to acquire that best customer.
- Not Pricing jobs correctly-I don’t need to tell you that one mistake, or one mis-calculation causes your profit to be flushed down the proverbial toilet. You must factor in cost of goods and then what I like to call a “mistake factor” which will ensure your profitability.
Our Plumber clients are enjoying another terrific and stress-free year in business. Isn’t it time that you enjoyed that too? If you still feel that you are struggling, you will be thrilled to know that Dr. Paul S. Inselman, CEO of Creativecoachingllc.net has formulated a specific step by step process that will help you to become a more powerful business leader. Our clients income has grown on average 150% since 2008. In 2016 alone they were up on average a whopping 44%! In twelve years, I haven’t seen one plumbing company that executed the steps above and that utilized our procedures that failed to grow their business. Click here for a complimentary and no-obligation 1 on 1 business analysis and strategy session. Find out for yourself where your weaker areas are and how to fix them! Stop wishing, praying and hoping and take the meaningful step that will get you to where you want to be.